Sunday, July 1, 2007

If you have never worshipped in a Southern Baptist Church, I recommend you do so before you die. I’ve come to realize that I’m a Southern Baptist preacher stuck in a little northern body. The preacher today flat-out brought it.

SIDEBAR:

The interesting thing about church and preaching is that I firmly believe that if you cannot get excited about preaching the Word of God, you have no business being in the pulpit. You cannot influence people if your passion is dead; you cannot try to win people to Christ if you cannot get up just a little bit of fervor within yourself. I’ll now get off my soapbox.

END SIDEBAR

Week two begins tomorrow for me, and more practical things will be discussed. Just in case you thought this was all fun and games down here in Mississippi, I get to write a 2-4 page report to turn in to my school administrator.

Now, for the fun and games.

I’m sleeping in a science classroom with two other guys. Every day this week, I’ve come in after they are asleep. Science classrooms are notorious for having no lamps—I don’t envision some of my science teachers sitting by a lamp as they investigate a Petri dish. Instead, I see them with overwhelming, blinding florescent lights overhead. Therefore, according to my expectations of a science classroom, my room fits the bill.

There is one small problem—when they go to bed and they turn off the lights, I’m at a loss for what to do when I need to get in and walk to my bed. I would never turn on the lights, because I know how ticked I would be, and I think that both of them, despite my toughness, would whip my butt if they decided to throw down. So, I’m left with one of two options: 1) Stand by the door and wait four years for my eyes to adjust or 2) Figure it out with my toes and shins.

I’ll give you time to think about which one I did the first night.

Anyway, after the first night, I came up with a new strategy: I slide across the floor in a modified bear crawl, but I become a blind bear. Roughly every two feet, I flail my arms and legs like a maniac to see if I can find my bed. As I sit there like a fool in the middle of a science classroom doing this, I can just imagine someone with night vision goggles sitting there, watching me, and splitting a gut.

However, it does beat bashing my toe into the suitcase.

It is amazing to ponder that I will be in Korea in a month.

Be safe.

2 comments:

Mike Lindstedt said...

Few men have the ability to tell a story like you my friend. Oh boy, I had a good hearty laugh after reading about your experience in the science classroom. Hilarious

Emily said...

So I take it the science classroom you're in hasn't adopted the tea light approach that we use in the labs at north central? Korea sounds really cool. Hope you have a great time.
God bless.
-Emily